Schools Part 1: Application Procedure

Step 1 - Apply at school of choice

The parent/guardian submits the completed application form for school admission together with all the necessary original documents directly to a school of choice. For children whose parent(s) are holding S Pass or Work Permit (R Pass), they would be required to pass a qualifying test before seeking school admission.

Step 2 - School conducts placement test and issues Letter of Acceptance

School will conduct placement test for the applicant if there is a vacancy. If applicant passes the placement test and the school accepts him/her, the school will issue a Letter of Acceptance (LOA). This LOA will indicate in-principle acceptance of the applicant to the school. The applicant can proceed to ICA to apply for a student’s pass with this letter

Acceptance to the school is subject to the applicant obtaining and returning with a student’s pass from Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) within 2 weeks from date of issue of the LOA.

Applicants who are holding a Dependant’s Pass (DP) or an Immigration Exemption Order (IEO) are not required to apply for a student’s pass from ICA. He/She can be admitted by the school immediately upon passing the placement test.

Step 3 - Apply student’s pass at ICA

The LOA is valid for 2 weeks from date of issue. Upon receiving the LOA, the applicant should proceed to ICA immediately to apply for a student’s pass. Applicant must produce the original LOA endorsed by the School to ICA.

Step 4 - Return to school within 2 weeks with student’s pass

The applicant must return to school with a valid student’s pass within 2 weeks from the date of the LOA. The applicant will forfeit his/her admission to the school if he/she does not return within 2 weeks.

Step 5 - Donation to the Education Fund

After the applicant has been successfully admitted to the school, the Ministry of Education will send a letter to him/her requesting for the biennial donation to the Education Fund, for example $1,000 for every 2 years.

Step A - For Children of S Pass and Work Permit (R Pass) Holders Only

Applicants with at least one parent working in Singapore on S Pass or Work Permit (R Pass) must pass a qualifying test (Assessment of General Ability conducted by Civil Service College Consultants) before they can be considered for admission. For more information on this requirement, please kindly refer to Ministry of Manpower’s website at   

Applicants who have not taken the qualifying test can apply online at General Ability Test Singapore website. The applicant will receive by post a letter on the Outcome of the Qualifying Test. If the letter shows that he/she is eligible to seek admission to a Singapore school, he/she can then approach a school of choice with the letter to apply for school admission.